Entry tags:
[NYT Social Q’s] Private Call as Podcast
(3rd of 4 at the gift link)
I have had depression for most of my life, and I have shared my struggles with my brother in many phone calls over the years. Recently, I heard laughter in the background, and I asked him if I was on speakerphone. He told me that I am always on speakerphone — that his family likes to listen to see if I will say something stupid. That pretty much ended our phone calls. When I tried to elicit an apology from him, he said I was overreacting. Still, I miss the feeling of closeness I had with him. Thoughts?
BROTHER
It’s so disappointing when people are needlessly cruel. I hope that when you asked your brother for an apology, you explained how hurtful it was to learn that he had violated your privacy for laughs. I’m afraid that whatever sense of closeness you felt was not truly reciprocated. You may want to consider a different kind of relationship with your brother. But I would save your confidences for someone more compassionate.
I have had depression for most of my life, and I have shared my struggles with my brother in many phone calls over the years. Recently, I heard laughter in the background, and I asked him if I was on speakerphone. He told me that I am always on speakerphone — that his family likes to listen to see if I will say something stupid. That pretty much ended our phone calls. When I tried to elicit an apology from him, he said I was overreacting. Still, I miss the feeling of closeness I had with him. Thoughts?
BROTHER
It’s so disappointing when people are needlessly cruel. I hope that when you asked your brother for an apology, you explained how hurtful it was to learn that he had violated your privacy for laughs. I’m afraid that whatever sense of closeness you felt was not truly reciprocated. You may want to consider a different kind of relationship with your brother. But I would save your confidences for someone more compassionate.

no subject
no subject
no subject
LW’s brother apparently doesn’t realize (or worse, doesn’t care) that the outcome could be a corpse.
no subject
no subject
no subject