Entry tags:
Dumpster diving for a retainer
(First question at this AAM post)
My coworker made her daughter go through our dumpster to find a lost retainer
I work at a company that, among other things, runs summer programs for kids. Some employees have kids who attend these programs. One of my coworkers, “Zoe,” has a 12-year-old daughter who is enrolled, “Carrie,” who seems like a really sweet kid. A few times now, Carrie has apparently taken out her retainer at lunch, wrapped it in a napkin while she eats, and then forgotten it’s there, so she has ended up throwing it away with the rest of her trash. Each time this has happened, Zoe has made Carrie come back to our site later that day to go through the trash dumpster to find the retainer. The sight of this girl forced to sit in a dumpster of trash and dig through other people’s leftover spaghetti and used tissues and whatever else is in the trash really bothers me — it seems cruel and humiliating. This is happening in front of a bunch of Zoe’s coworkers, and as far as I know no one has said anything to her about it.
I don’t want to tell Zoe how to raise her child, but I know I was a sensitive kid who would have been really bothered by this. Would I be out of line to mention that to her and suggest that she find a different way of handling it?
Well, you’re writing to someone whose mom made me sift through the school dumpster on two separate occasions for exactly the same reason. I did find my retainer both times, and I stopped losing it after that. (You’re not kidding about it being gross, though.)
Orthodontics are expensive! Moreover, if Zoe simply replaces it each time without making Carrie try to find it first, she’s decreasing the chances of Carrie learning to be responsible with it.
So I’m on Zoe’s side with this. (My mom would have deeply enjoyed seeing me write those words.) It’s not an unreasonable parenting move. It does suck for Carrie, but just in the way that some parts of learning to be a responsible human suck at that age, not in a way that rises to cruelty.
As long as Zoe isn’t yelling at Carrie or berating her during the dumpster excavation, see this as just something that might happen in a workspace that serves lunch to employees’ kids.
My coworker made her daughter go through our dumpster to find a lost retainer
I work at a company that, among other things, runs summer programs for kids. Some employees have kids who attend these programs. One of my coworkers, “Zoe,” has a 12-year-old daughter who is enrolled, “Carrie,” who seems like a really sweet kid. A few times now, Carrie has apparently taken out her retainer at lunch, wrapped it in a napkin while she eats, and then forgotten it’s there, so she has ended up throwing it away with the rest of her trash. Each time this has happened, Zoe has made Carrie come back to our site later that day to go through the trash dumpster to find the retainer. The sight of this girl forced to sit in a dumpster of trash and dig through other people’s leftover spaghetti and used tissues and whatever else is in the trash really bothers me — it seems cruel and humiliating. This is happening in front of a bunch of Zoe’s coworkers, and as far as I know no one has said anything to her about it.
I don’t want to tell Zoe how to raise her child, but I know I was a sensitive kid who would have been really bothered by this. Would I be out of line to mention that to her and suggest that she find a different way of handling it?
Well, you’re writing to someone whose mom made me sift through the school dumpster on two separate occasions for exactly the same reason. I did find my retainer both times, and I stopped losing it after that. (You’re not kidding about it being gross, though.)
Orthodontics are expensive! Moreover, if Zoe simply replaces it each time without making Carrie try to find it first, she’s decreasing the chances of Carrie learning to be responsible with it.
So I’m on Zoe’s side with this. (My mom would have deeply enjoyed seeing me write those words.) It’s not an unreasonable parenting move. It does suck for Carrie, but just in the way that some parts of learning to be a responsible human suck at that age, not in a way that rises to cruelty.
As long as Zoe isn’t yelling at Carrie or berating her during the dumpster excavation, see this as just something that might happen in a workspace that serves lunch to employees’ kids.

no subject
no subject
And she's not making her do it while others are around, she's bringing her back after hours.stiking this because op is unclear about whether she's coming back later or having to do it right then.The real issues are a) what if there's something dangerous in the dumpster, and what if the company fire Zoe for having her kid root through the dumpster because of liability.
no subject
no subject
Exactly. In this case, "teach them a lesson" really just means "punish them." What skills has Carrie learned from this exercise? Dumpster diving?
no subject
we also have no idea what steps mom has taken because all this is being reported by a co-worker who describes this as an "apparently" but then talks as if she's witnessing it.
I agree that things meant to teach a lesson should, but also, what is the alternative here? retainers are too expensive to replace every time, so either carrie has to retrieve her property or end up with dental issues. (and i had a case for mine, but that didn't mean i didn't have to fish it out of the bin a couple of times.) sometimes you just have to do the thing because you have to do the thing.
no subject
But it's not a punishment, it's a natural consequence. Punishment would be "You forgot to make your bed, now go dumpster diving." Natural consequence is "Your retainer that we can't afford to replace is currently in the dumpster because of your actions. Even if it never teaches you not to lose it again, it's in the dumpster because of your actions, and the life lesson here is that someone has to fetch it out, and you're old enough to be the one taking responsibility for your actions."
When I forget to take perishable groceries out of my backpack and they go bad, having to throw them out and pay to replace them is not a punishment, it's a natural consequence.
This is leaving aside safely issues and just addressing the punishment and lesson aspect.
no subject
For some children/teenagers/adults
stress makes memory/organisation worse
and so the stress of dumpster diving could actually INCREASE the chance of losing the retainer again.
I like the suggestion in the Ask A Manager comments that LW buys a small retainer case that the daughter can wear on a lanyard around her neck, so that there's an easy/obvious clean place to put the retainer while eating that isn't a serviette.
no subject
If they're doing it after hours and this is being told after-the-fact, then that's one thing. The fact that LW knows about this and implies she knew about it while it was happening, however, suggests that the child is being made to sift through the dumpster in front of other people - or that Zoe is talking about it in the office while the kid is still there. Neither is a particularly salutory outcome.
no subject
no subject
no subject
no subject
Like, she could have a little pouch that hangs around her neck, or a lunchbox with or special compartment, or any other solution that doesn’t result in this kind of punitive response.
Yes, the mother can’t afford to replace indefinite numbers of retainers, but it doesn’t sound like she’s doing anything to make this easier on her daughter.
(As someone who was a kid with undiagnosed ADHD, shaming/blaming/punishing works a lot less well than coming up with a way to make things easier to remember!)
no subject
no subject
no subject
Does LW have another method to suggest?
no subject
or making someone else do that
no subject
no subject
no subject
no subject
no subject
no subject
no subject
no subject
Some of this stuff is kind of a racket. (See also: glasses.)
I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
Re: I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
Re: I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
Re: I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
Re: I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
Re: I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
Re: I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
(Plus, who knows how well the trash company washes out the dumpster after it comes from a worse part of town.)
I liked picking through dumps as a kid but it always earned me a substantial (and disapproving) talk about safety from my parents. Probably saved me some injuries since I knew I was doing something unapproved and could very easily get hurt by hazards.
Re: I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
Re: I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
We shouldn’t teach kids how and when to light matches either, because they’ll try to start dumb fires (e.g lighting insecticide to spell initials on grass or lighting booze on fire or just being dumbasses) when they are drunk and 16.
Probably best not to let them use public transit because they might jump out the door of a moving bus before it stops.
Driving is right out. Actually sports probably too. Arts and craft iffy (are drunken 16 year olds trustworthy with glue?)
Re: I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
None of those situations you mention are comparable because this is a punishment - the only point is of punishment is to get compliance through fear - which isn’t a good strategy in the first place - and/or out of ego or sadism, though presumably not in this case. So, this has a very high bar to clear for safety, as it’s a fundamentally worthless activity for the kid, where nothing is lost by having the parent do it instead.
Unlike sports, art, using matches, driving, willingly dumpster driving for fun, or heck, underage drinking! Any of those activities could actually be worthwhile, fun, interesting, or enriching in some way, and so they might balance out the risks depending on how you weigh them.
Re: I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
(If we want to go to extremes, mom doing the dumpster diving for her has the possibility of the daughter growing up to be someone who runs to mommy to fix her mistakes for her, and never experiences consequences. Which isn't great.)
And we don't know that they /didn't/ have discussions about hazards and safety, that the daughter /didn't/ use gloves, etc. We also don't know if mom has done dumpster diving in the past on her daughter's behalf.
Re: I’d want packaging/fruit skin to eat something from a dumpster
No it is not. It is not a punishment, no more than it is a "punishment" to expect that same child to sweep the floor if she spills a bowl of popcorn all over it or to wipe the toilet seat if she pees on it a little.
no subject
The easiest solution may be don't wrap that retainer in a napkin at all. The embarrassment of a visible retainer on the lunch table has to be better than the dumpster diving to retrieve it. Or, if it's possible and the orthodontist approves, switch to wearing her retainer at night.
no subject
Mine never ended up in the trash though, since it was so chunky that I'd easily feel it through the tissue, but more relevantly, I also didn't tend to throw anything away while at school — everything would go back into my bag (most certainly fruit/veggie scraps so we could compost them, as only my primary school had a composter) to be dealt with at home unless it was especially messy. I think that habit mostly came from sitting Nowhere Near A Bin, but I'm not sure at this point.
Of course, I don't expect anyone to hold onto their trash for any extended period of time (definitely not if they'd forget to take it out later), but a child who accidentally throws their retainer out frequently and may not find a proper container to be helpful may benefit from an adjustment to the "finish food, throw all bits and bobs out" schedule.
no subject
The majority of kids who wear retainers won't suffer serious medical consequences for not wearing it. Most of the kids I knew with retainers who were the kind of people to do that at all eventually lost them in a way the parents weren't willing to replace (or 'lost' them and just failed to mention it to the parents for long enough that the parents threw up their hands.) The worst medical consequences any of them suffered was having to pay their own money/insurance for Invisalign as adults if they decided it was worth it. (Generally, the kids who have been made aware that if they don't wear it they will need another round of oral surgery or whatever, to point up how serious it is, will be better at keeping track of it even if they're adhd or something, because it's more worth spending spoons on at that point.)
So, yeah. If it's not the first time, the solution here, unless the kid is facing actually serious medical consequences, is to give the kid the option of digging it out themself, or of going without until their next appointment and facing down the dentist. The parent should, however, be helping and supervising while they do it. (The reason the parent can't just do it themself - consequences aside - is that the kid will be faster and better, they will have more clues as to which bag it's in, etc.)