Two letters to Annie about setting boundaries
1. Dear Annie: I am the person everyone in my family calls when they need something. I babysit, drive relatives to appointments, host holidays and lend money when someone is in a bind. I rarely complain because I love my family and want to be helpful.
A few weeks ago, my sister called me in a panic because her babysitter canceled before an important work dinner. I had already made plans with a friend, but I canceled them and drove 40 minutes to watch her children. I stayed until nearly midnight and even cleaned up the kitchen before I left.
Not long afterward, I had a medical procedure and needed someone to drive me home. When I asked my sister, she said she had too much going on and suggested I call a car service. Two days later, she asked if I could babysit again so she and her husband could go out to dinner.
That moment really hurt. I realized that my family may not see me as a person with needs of my own. They see me as the reliable one who will always say yes. I have started turning down a few requests, and now everyone says I am acting selfish and "not like myself." I do not want to become bitter or damage my relationships, but I am exhausted from always being the giver.
How do I set boundaries without feeling guilty, and how can I tell whether my family truly values me or simply values what I do for them? -- Tired of Being a Safety Net
Dear Tired: Your family may love you, but they have become so used to your always being there that they have stopped noticing how much they ask of you.
Start saying yes only when you truly want to. People will treat you exactly how you let them. If they think you are a pushover, they will keep pushing. It's up to you to set boundaries.
Many people, especially those who have spent years caring for others, feel guilty the first time they say no. They worry they are disappointing people or letting someone down. But healthy boundaries are not walls; they are guidelines that protect your well-being.
Your sister may call you selfish because your new boundaries are inconvenient for her. That does not make you selfish. It makes you tired of being taken for granted. Any discomfort that your new boundaries cause your sister is not a sign that you are doing something wrong. It is a sign that an unhealthy pattern is finally changing.
You are not becoming bitter. You are learning that kindness should be given freely, not squeezed out by guilt. Give your family a chance to adjust to the new you. Anyone who truly loves you will learn that your heart is generous, but your time is not theirs to spend.
Link one
***************
2. Dear Annie: My younger sister has always been the "fun one" in our family. She breezes in late with a bottle of wine and a funny story, and somehow everyone forgives her before she has even taken off her coat. She forgets birthdays, cancels plans at the last minute and borrows money she never seems to pay back. My parents still smile and say, "That's just how she is."
I, on the other hand, have become the family's unpaid manager. I am the one who takes my mother to her doctor's appointments, makes sure my father's prescriptions are filled, hosts Thanksgiving and remembers who needs gluten-free stuffing. Last Christmas, my sister showed up two hours late with no gifts for anyone and was treated like the life of the party. I had been cooking for two days and barely got a thank-you.
The final straw came when my mother fell recently. I was the one who spent six hours in the emergency room with her. My sister posted a sweet photo of Mom on Facebook and got dozens of comments about what a devoted daughter she is.
I know I sound resentful, and maybe I am. I love my family, but I am exhausted from being reliable while my sister gets applause for showing up. How do I step back without looking selfish? -- The Dependable Daughter
Dear Dependable: You do not sound selfish. You sound tired -- and there is a difference.
Families often get so used to the responsible person doing everything that they stop seeing the work. That does not make your resentment wrong. It makes it a warning light.
Start stepping back in small, clear ways. Tell your parents and sister what you can do and what you cannot: "I can take Mom to the doctor on Tuesdays, but I can't manage every appointment." Then let your sister be asked directly. Do not rescue her from every dropped ball.
Healthy families work best when responsibilities are shared, not silently carried by one person. If your parents resist at first, stay calm and consistent. People often need time to adjust when long-standing patterns begin to change.
Give yourself permission to rest without guilt, and trust that caring for yourself will ultimately make you better able to care for others.
You may never get equal applause, but you can get a more balanced life. Being dependable is a gift, but being depleted is not.
Link two
A few weeks ago, my sister called me in a panic because her babysitter canceled before an important work dinner. I had already made plans with a friend, but I canceled them and drove 40 minutes to watch her children. I stayed until nearly midnight and even cleaned up the kitchen before I left.
Not long afterward, I had a medical procedure and needed someone to drive me home. When I asked my sister, she said she had too much going on and suggested I call a car service. Two days later, she asked if I could babysit again so she and her husband could go out to dinner.
That moment really hurt. I realized that my family may not see me as a person with needs of my own. They see me as the reliable one who will always say yes. I have started turning down a few requests, and now everyone says I am acting selfish and "not like myself." I do not want to become bitter or damage my relationships, but I am exhausted from always being the giver.
How do I set boundaries without feeling guilty, and how can I tell whether my family truly values me or simply values what I do for them? -- Tired of Being a Safety Net
Dear Tired: Your family may love you, but they have become so used to your always being there that they have stopped noticing how much they ask of you.
Start saying yes only when you truly want to. People will treat you exactly how you let them. If they think you are a pushover, they will keep pushing. It's up to you to set boundaries.
Many people, especially those who have spent years caring for others, feel guilty the first time they say no. They worry they are disappointing people or letting someone down. But healthy boundaries are not walls; they are guidelines that protect your well-being.
Your sister may call you selfish because your new boundaries are inconvenient for her. That does not make you selfish. It makes you tired of being taken for granted. Any discomfort that your new boundaries cause your sister is not a sign that you are doing something wrong. It is a sign that an unhealthy pattern is finally changing.
You are not becoming bitter. You are learning that kindness should be given freely, not squeezed out by guilt. Give your family a chance to adjust to the new you. Anyone who truly loves you will learn that your heart is generous, but your time is not theirs to spend.
Link one
2. Dear Annie: My younger sister has always been the "fun one" in our family. She breezes in late with a bottle of wine and a funny story, and somehow everyone forgives her before she has even taken off her coat. She forgets birthdays, cancels plans at the last minute and borrows money she never seems to pay back. My parents still smile and say, "That's just how she is."
I, on the other hand, have become the family's unpaid manager. I am the one who takes my mother to her doctor's appointments, makes sure my father's prescriptions are filled, hosts Thanksgiving and remembers who needs gluten-free stuffing. Last Christmas, my sister showed up two hours late with no gifts for anyone and was treated like the life of the party. I had been cooking for two days and barely got a thank-you.
The final straw came when my mother fell recently. I was the one who spent six hours in the emergency room with her. My sister posted a sweet photo of Mom on Facebook and got dozens of comments about what a devoted daughter she is.
I know I sound resentful, and maybe I am. I love my family, but I am exhausted from being reliable while my sister gets applause for showing up. How do I step back without looking selfish? -- The Dependable Daughter
Dear Dependable: You do not sound selfish. You sound tired -- and there is a difference.
Families often get so used to the responsible person doing everything that they stop seeing the work. That does not make your resentment wrong. It makes it a warning light.
Start stepping back in small, clear ways. Tell your parents and sister what you can do and what you cannot: "I can take Mom to the doctor on Tuesdays, but I can't manage every appointment." Then let your sister be asked directly. Do not rescue her from every dropped ball.
Healthy families work best when responsibilities are shared, not silently carried by one person. If your parents resist at first, stay calm and consistent. People often need time to adjust when long-standing patterns begin to change.
Give yourself permission to rest without guilt, and trust that caring for yourself will ultimately make you better able to care for others.
You may never get equal applause, but you can get a more balanced life. Being dependable is a gift, but being depleted is not.
Link two

no subject
Here is what I would say, to both of them:
Set up a new calendar for yourself. Set aside a minimum of one evening a week and one full day every weekend for "personal care", and block off all three day weekends and public holidays for yourself. If you don't actually put it in your calendar, you won't feel committed to do it. (If necessary, go ahead and book some appointment in this time - a regular class, a trip to the nail salon, whatever you need so that you can honestly say "I can't, that time is booked up".)
Then, when people ask you to do things, say "I'm sorry, I cannot. I have an unavoidable thing scheduled at that time." If they demand answers, say "It just won't work. I'm sorry, maybe next time."
On a different note, LW1, you say you don't want to damage relationships. Why isn't your sister worried about damaging your relationship with her?
(For LW2, I'd add in that she needs to start going on vacations during holidays instead of hosting them. Do that for two years, then you can start hosting no more than ONE holiday a year - and you insist everybody has to chip in for catering!)
no subject
no subject
no subject
no subject